HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms Application
HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms Application (revised 9/16/14)
Schools, school districts, and residential child care institutions (RCCI's) applying for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL) on or after August 31, 2014, must apply using the HUSSC: SL 2014 Criteria and Application.
- Update to the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Right-click to download: HUSSC: SL 2014 Application (PDF | 3.78 MB)
Right-click and choose "Save link as..."or "Save target as..." and choose a location on your computer.
Tips for Completing Application:
- You can submit your application two ways:
- Submit the application and supporting documentation in a 3-ring binder to your State Child Nutrition Agency.
- Submit the application and supporting documentation electronically (see instructions below).
- When more space is needed to accommodate for additional days of the week or to provide more information, schools and residential child care institutions (RCCI's) can attach additional pages as needed.
- Multiple schools can apply under the same district application when all of the following apply:
- The same nutrition education, physical education, and physical activities are provided or offered (according to the grade level).
- The same Smart Snacks foods and beverages were sold throughout the cafeteria and/or school campus. Submit:
- One Smart Snacks Worksheet with a listing of foods available, and
- One set of supporting documentation.
- Each individual school follows the district's wellness policy.
In addition, each school within the District must submit a Smarter Lunchroom Self-Assessment Score Card, individual School Wellness Policy Worksheet (if applicable) and complete the Other Criteria for Excellence Checklist, which are both included in the application. If a district finds that their schools has different nutrition education, physical education, physical activities, competitive foods, or wellness policies, they can still apply as a district, but must make note of those items that differ among the schools on the application worksheets and submit additional documentation for those schools with the district application.
Each District should submit an Application Cover Sheet reflecting the name of the District with a completed District School List form (DOC | 20 KB).
Submitting Application Electronically
- If needed, provide application details and special circumstances in a Cover Letter (optional).
- *Note- File attachments must be limited to 50 MB, total. You may need to send multiple emails depending on the size of each individual attachment.
- Include the following:
- Completed HUSSC: SL Application (save as PDF and attach to email)
- Scanned copy of the School Wellness Policy and Team Nutrition Verification.
- Scanned documentation including recipes, food product ingredient statements and/or Nutrition Facts labels to verify that the criteria have been met for Smart Snacks in Schools.
Email the application file and accompanying documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive an email response letting you know the application has been received.
Include the following information in the body of the email*:
School Name School Address Award level of application: Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Gold Award of Distinction State Agency Contact Name Contact Email
*Note- File attachments must be limited to 50 MB, total. You may need to send multiple emails depending on the size of each individual attachment.